While NISA put details of the Skate-UK (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/skateuk/aboutskateuk) and Skate-UK Star (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/skateuk/aboutstar) requirements on their website, they don’t seem to put details of higher levels, and enquiries seem to be referred to the shop where these can be purchased. However, this Wikipedia page is useful.
Because this information seems hard to get, some of the Wikipedia information is reproduced below. There have been major changes in the Skate UK requirements, introduced in 2013. At the time of writing (Aug 2014) the NISA website still has the old requirements posted (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/skateuk/aboutstar), but test booklets purchased are different. Fortunately, the Wikipedia article is current!
Complying to the purpose of the organisation, the NISA levels are used by instructors to grade learners of ice skating in the UK. There are various levels of student grades, as well as instructor grades.
These levels are generally taught in group classes, and are assessed by the instructors of these classes. The levels are as follows:
- Level 1: Sit down and Stand up; March Forwards across the ice; Forward two foot glide; Skate and Dip (little man); Turn around on the spot
- Level 2: Backward Marching across the ice; Forwards Swizzles (Lemons); Forward Two Foot Glide on a curve (Left and Right); Two foot turn on the spot (Forwards to backwards, back to forwards); Snowplough or T-Stop
- Level 3: Forward stroking (showing correct use of blade); Moving two foot turn (Forwards to backwards, back to forwards); Backwards Swizzles (Lemons); Back two foot glide; Forward one foot glide (left and Right)
- Level 4: Forward outside edges on a circle (left and Right); Forward Inside edges on a circle (Left and Right ); Basic Forward Slalom (Basic outside/ inside edges); Backward stroking; Forward continuous chasses around a circle (Left and Right)
- Level 5: Backward Outside edges on a circle (Left and Right); Backward Inside edges on a circle (Left and Right); Backward continuous chasses around a circle (clockwise and counter-clockwise); Forward crossovers (clockwise and anti-clockwise); Forward outside three turns (Left and Right) from Standstill
- Level 6: Forward inside three turn (Left and Right) from standstill; Backward Outside edges step to forward outside edge on a circle; Backward crossovers (clockwise and anti-clockwise); Backward two foot slalom; Two Foot Spin (Min 2 revs)
- Level 7: Forward inside open Mowhawk (Left and Right); Backward crossovers to landing position glide; Continuous forward outside edges along a straight line (As per Level 1 Field Moves); Continuous forward inside edges along a straight line (As per level 1 Field Moves); Basic Forwards Cross rolls
- Level 8: Continuous outside three turns around a circle (3 in a row) Left and right; Continuous inside three turns around a circle (3 in a row) Left and right; Step Sequence: Three turns, mowhawk, cross rolls, twizzles, toe steps etc.; Forward inside single twizzle (Left and right) (Hockey Skaters Forward Drag – Left and Right); One foot Spin (Min 2 Revs) (Hockey Skaters 2 foot Spin – Min 4 revs)
Skate UK Star Levels (formerly known as Passport)
These levels may be attempted once the SkateUK levels have been passed. Skate UK Star levels may be taken in any or all of singles skating (free), ice dancing, speed skating or synchronized team skating, although you must complete a level in a given discipline before moving onto the next level in that discipline. These levels as also assessed by the instructor, but will be expected to be of a higher standard than the same moves in the SkateUK system. The levels are as follows:
- Forward open chasses/ crossed (Closed) chasses continuously on a circle (Min 3) left and right
- LFO closed mowhawk, cross in front onto a LBI. Step forwards to RFI (3 times) Left and right
- Forward Progressive runs
- Two consecutive LFO 3 turns followed by a sustained outside edges with free leg extended for a count of 3 (Left and Right)
- Forward spiral inside and outside edges (Either foot)
- Forward progressive runs in a figure of 8
- Backward open chasses (3 on each foot) in a serpentine sequence
- Backward progressive runs in a figure of eight
- A 7 step dance sequence as follows: RFI open mowhawk, RBO run, RBO Cross in front LBI, Step forwards RFI and repeat twice
- Forward inside single twizzles, left and right (min 4 in a row)
- Forward run, forward slip chasses (3 times ) in a figure of eight
- Basic backward cross rolls
- Solo Novice Foxtrot with Music
- Forward inside double twizzle (Left and Right)
- A 9 Step dance Sequence
- Forwards and Backwards cross-overs in a figure of 8
- Forward outside spiral on a curve (Left and Right)
- Spin on one foot (Min 4 revs) Optional entry and exit
- Waltz jump from 4-5 back crossovers (held landing for count of 3)
- Bunny hop into a drag
- Single Salchow
- Spin on one foot (Min 4 revs) entry from backward crossovers stepping into forward outside edge, landing position exit
- Backward spiral on a curve (left and right)
- Backwards crossovers around a circle into an extended landing position for the count of 3 (Left and Right)
- Teapot on either foot (Forwards or backwards)
- Backward outside one foot spin (min 1 rev)
- Single toe-loop (with correct take off-not a toe three jump)
- Spiral sequence: Forward outside spiral, forward outside three turn, two backward crossovers, back inside spiral (Spirals held for 3 seconds) clockwise and counter-clockwise.
- A simple step sequence: must have three turns, mowhawks, chasses, crossrolls, toe steps these can be done on any edges, forwards or backwards.
- Combination of skating movements, turns, jumps and spins in a short routine with or without music. (max 1min 30seconds)
- Forward block (full length of the rink) in shoulder hold using alternating left and right chasses
- Forward line (full length of the rink) in shoulder hold using alternating left and right chasses and swings
- Forward circle (at least 2 revolutions in both directions) in hand hold, facing inward using continuous chasses.
- Forward pin wheel (at least 2 revolutions in both directions) in shoulder hold, using consecutive chasses. 2, 3 or 4 spokes may be performed, depending on the number of skaters.
- Block in shoulder hold. Push Left, push right, left cross edge, right cross edge, LFO 3 turn, right back cross edge, left back cross edge
- Line in shoulder hold. Push Left, push right, left cross edge, right cross edge, LFO 3 turn, right back cross edge, left back cross edge
- Circle in elbow hold (tea pot hold), facing in and performed in both directions. At least 2 consecutive sequence of; forward chasse, forward cross, FO 3 turn, backward chasse, backward cross, step to forward inside edge to repeat
- Forward intersection using alternating forward chasses. At least 3 pass throughs. Drag position may be introduced for variety.
- Forward line in shoulder hold turning to back line into elbow hold. Step may be a combination of chasses, progressive runs, and back cross overs. This movement to be performed using full length of the rink.
- Block introducing a change of axis. Commence in shoulder hold down long axis. Push Left, push right, left cross edge, right cross edge, LFO 3 turn, right back cross edge, left back cross edge. Change to elbow hold, backward right chasse, right cross, right chasse, right cross, step to right forward inside edge to repeat.
- Change of configuration wheel, from 2 spokes to 4 spokes. A combination of forward chasses and crossovers and a 3 turn to backward chasses and crossovers. At least one change of hold must be performed.
- Forward intersection with a one revolution turn at the point of intersection (e.g. an inside twizzles or Austrian 3 turn). At least 3 pass throughs to be performed.
- Forward stroking side by side (min 4 pushes) focus and emphasis on unison.
- Forward stroking in hand to hand hold (min 4 pushes)
- Basic upright spin side by side (min 2 revs) any entry and exit
- Bunny hop side by side
- Forward spiral in a straight line side by side.
- Forward stroking in Kilian Hold (min 4 pushes) focus and emphasis on timing and unison.
- Forwards cross overs around a circle in hand to hand hold (clockwise and counter-clockwise)
- Side by side Waltz jumps from 3 backward crossovers (emphasis on unison)
- Two foot spiralling curve in Kilian hold.
- Forward spiral in a straight line in Kilian hold
- Forwards crossovers in a figure of 8 in hand to hand hold.
- Backward crossovers around a circle in hand to hand hold (clockwise and counter clockwise)
- Side by side Single Salchow from 3 backward crossovers
- Simple Pairs spin (min 2 revs) in Kilian hold, any entry and exit.
- Spirals : One skater forward spiral/ one skater backward spiral hand to hand hold
These levels go from 1 to 10 and are assessed by at least one NISA qualified judge. Skaters must show proof that they have completed the Skate UK programme before being allowed to apply for the judged levels. Each test costs at least £19 to enter (2013 prices) – rising as the level of the test rises. There are different tests at each level as follows – skaters may do whichever ones they wish. Skaters do not need to complete all of these tests before moving up to the next level, but cannot skip levels in any given area (i.e. must do Level 1 field moves before doing level 2 field moves, but Level 1 Elements is not required to do Level 2 field moves).
- Field Moves – assessing control of edges
- Elements – these are elements of free skating such as jumps, spins and step sequences which are done in isolation
- Free Skating – using the elements in a continuous routine or program of a given length, set to music. Music for free skating must not have vocals.
- Compulsory Dances – there are 2 dances at each level. Dances may be tested solo or with a partner, although if both partners are taking the test either two judges are required or the partners will need to repeat each dance so that one is being assessed on the first time and one the second.
- Variations (up to Level 2) – this is done as part of the pattern of one of the compulsory dances followed by a specific number of bars of a dance to the same music which is invented by the skater (more usually their coach) followed by the end of the compulsory pattern. 2 full repeats must be skated.
- Original Dance (Level 3 and above) – a full routine to a given type of music with no compulsory dance sequence at the beginning.
- Free Dance – similar to the Free Skating this is a program of a given length, to music (which may include vocals), including certain required dance elements.
- Level 1: Forward Outside edges down one side of the rink, between 4 and 8 semicircles required; Forward Inside edges, between 4 and 8 semicircles required; Forward Crossovers in both directions, done as a figure of 8; Backwards crossovers in both directions done as a figure of 8; backward crossovers into landing position in both directions; spirals in a straight line down one side of the rink, half the length on each foot, repeat on other side of rink.
- Level 2: Back Outside edges down one side of the rink, between 4 and 8 semicircles required; Back Inside edges, between 4 and 8 semicircles required; Forwards and backwards crossrolls; Mohawk sequence – push LFO, RFI mohawk to LBI, step wide R crossover, step to forward and repeat on other foot. Repeat down the rink; Outside 3 turns in figure of 8; Inside 3 turns in figure of 8.
- Level 3: Forward edge changes on 1 foot; Alternating 3 turns (LFO RBI for half the rink, RFO LBI for second half, then second side LFI RBO then RFI LBO), ; Forward stroking with extended positions; Spirals on curves (LFO toe push LFI push RFI toe push RFO then to other side of rink RFI RFO LFO LFI).
- Level 4: Perimeter 3 turns; Mohawk step sequence; Back outside 3 turns – forward inside mohawks in a circle; Backward stroking with extended positions
- Level 5: Perimeter BO and BI double threes; Perimeter back changes of edge (BO/BI and BI/BO); One foot slaloms (forwards and backwards on each foot – half a side of rink on each foot – one side forwards one side backwards); Alternating choctaws (BO 3, FI choctaw, cross cut, cross roll BO three, then repeat)
- Level 6: Perimeter FI and FO double threes; FI rockers and BI double rockers; FO and FI brackets; Russian stroking (clockwise and anti clockwise) (NB they look for quick changes and steep lobes for this exercise at this level)
- Level 7: BO change of edge to BI double threes, BI change of edge to BO double threes; BI rocker/choctaw on a circle;BO and BI quick three turns (intro to twizzles) – basically a double twizzle or double double three; BI brackets (FI 3 cross in front, BI bracket)
- Level 8: (skater selects 4 out of 6) Perimeter Skating – Forward Counters,Perimeter Skating – Backward Counters, Barrel Roll and Toe Steps, Perimeter Skating – Quick 3 turns and Choctaws, Kilian Choctaws, Counter Twizzles and Back Outside Twizzles
- Level 9: (skater selects 4 out of 6) Fast circular Mohawks and Slip Step, Perimeter Skating – Forward Rockers, Perimeter Skating – 1 foot power rockers, inside double threes and twizzle, backward outside twizzles, closed choctaws
- Level 10: (skater selects 4 out of 6) Perimeter Skating – Backward Rockers, Perimeter backward loops and quick bracket three turn, Ina Bauer exercise, quick hip twists, double twizzles (both feet, both edges), swing rockers
- Level 1: Perimeter skating; Toe Loop; Three jump or salchow; Upright spin 3 revs; Step sequence; Forward spiral; Backward spiral on a curve
- Level 2: Perimeter skating; 3 jump; salchow or toe loop; upright spin (5 revs); sit spin (3 revs); backspin from a 3 turn entry (1-2 revs); step sequence
- Level 3: Figure 8 crossovers; loop; flip; combination jump with a toe loop as the second jump; camel spin (3 revs); backspin (3 revs); step sequence – with forward and backward 3 turns
- Level 4: lutz; axel; jump combination with loop as the second jump; camel-sit spin combination (2 revs in each position); change foot upright spin (4 revs on each foot); circular step sequence with mohawks and 3 turns; a sequence with at least 2 of these in: Spread eagle, Ina bauer, spiral, drag, pivot
- Level 5: Perimeter power crossover stroking; Axel with flow; Double Salchow; Jump combination, one of which must be a Lutz or Flip; Flying Camel spin (2-3 revolutions); Sit-Change Sit spin (minimum of 4 revolutions on each foot); Spin with one change of position and one change of foot (minimum of 3 revolutions on each foot)
- Level 6: Double Toe Loop; Jump combination consisting of Axel, Double Toe Loop; Jump sequence consisting of 2 single jumps; Camel-Change Camel spin (minimum 3 revolutions on each foot); Layback spin (minimum 5 revolutions) or Crossfoot spin (min 4 revolutions); Incorporate 3 of the following into a simple figure of eight pattern sequence – forward spiral, backward spiral, pivot, Ina Bauer, spreadeagle, drag; Serpentine step sequence (half the size of the rink)
- Level 7: Double salchow, double toe, jump combination double+single, flying camel to back sit spin (4 revs per position), spin combo with one change of foot and one of position (5 revs per foot), jump sequence of 3 jumps including 1 double, straight line step sequence using full ice
- Level 8: Double loop, axel with speed and flow, jump combinations with double toe as second jump, jump sequence to include at least 2 double jumps, flying camel spin (6 revs), sit-sit or camel-camel (6 revs per foot), serpentine step sequence
- Level 9: Double flip, jump combination 2 doubles NOT including double loop, jump combination 2 doubles with double loop as second, flying sit spin (5 revs), spin combo with 1 change of foot and 2 changes of position (6 revs per foot), layback or sideways spin (8 revs) or 2 foot cross foot spin (6 revs), sequence of spirals using full ice.
- Level 10: Double lutz, jump combo of 2 doubles (one must be double flip or double lutz), jump sequence to involve 2 double jumps, death drop or flying change sit spin (6 revs), spin combo with one change of foot and 2 changes of position showing 3 different positions (6 revs per foot), spiral step sequence using full ice, free choice step sequence using full ice.
- Level 1: 1 min 30 second programme to include 2 different jumps, 1 spin, spiral (forward or backward), step sequence (10 metres)
- Level 2: 1 min 30 second programme with 2 different jumps, a combination, 2 different spins, a step sequence (2/3 length of rink)
- Level 3: 1 min 30 seconds with 2 different jumps one of which must be a flip, one jump combination, 2 different spins (from camel, sit, upright), step sequence (full length of rink)
- Level 4: 2 mins with 2 different jumps one of which must be an axel, a jump combination with a flip or a lutz, 1 spin combination (which must include one change of position – 2 revs per position), 1 additional spin (min 4 revs), circular step sequence and a moves (i.e. spirals bauers) sequence
- Level 5: 2 mins including axel with flow, 2 different jumps including one double, one jump combo including a flip/lutz, at least 2 different spins one with change of foot and one with change of position (3 revs per foot/position), and a spiral or Moves in the Field sequence (covering half the ice surface).
- Level 6: 2 min 30 seconds, as for L5 but both jumps must be doubles and spiral sequence must use full ice.
- Level 7: 3 mins including axel with flow, 2 different double jumps, one jump combo including a double, jump sequence including one double, at least 2 different spins including a spin combo and a flying spin (4 revs per foot/position), spiral sequence covering full ice.
- Level 8: 3 mins (ladies) 3 mins 30 (men) including axel with speed and flow, 3 different double jumps, one jump combo including 2 doubles, at least 3 different spins including a spin combo and a flying spin (4 revs per foot/position), step sequence covering full ice.
- Level 9: 3 mins 30 (ladies) 4 mins (men) including 4 different double jumps, one jump combo including 2 doubles, one flying spin (5 revs), 2 different spins including a spin combo (6 revs per foot), spiral sequence covering full ice.
- Level 10: 4 mins (ladies) 4 mins 30 (men) including 5 different double jumps, one jump combo including 2 doubles, one flying spin (5 revs), 2 different spins including a spin combo (6 revs per foot), spiral sequence covering full ice, step sequence covering full ice
It is not always clear which of the official tunes are needed for each dance, so these are shown in brackets where different to the dance name. Coaches will have copies of the official tunes which must be used for tests. Step patterns for many of the dances may be found Ice-Dance.com or CoffeeSkate
- Level 1: Novice Foxtrot (Foxtrot), Rhythm Blues (Blues)
- Level 2: Canasta Tango (Tango), Dutch Waltz (Waltz)
- Level 3: Golden Skaters Waltz (Westminster Waltz), Riverside Rhumba
- Level 4: Fiesta Tango (Tango), Swing Dance (Rocker Foxtrot)
- Level 5: 14 Step, Willow Waltz (Waltz)
- Level 6: European Waltz (Waltz), Foxtrot
- Level 7: American Waltz, 22 Step
- Level 8A: Rocker Foxtrot, Blues
- Level 8B: Tango, Silver Samba (Samba)
- Level 9A: Kilian, Starlight Waltz
- Level 9B: Paso Doble, Argentine Tango
- Level 10A: Viennese Waltz, Quickstep
- Level 10B: Westminster Waltz, Rhumba
- Level Gold Bar 1: Austrian Waltz, Cha Cha Congelado (must be skated as a couple)
- Level Gold Bar 2: Ravensburger Waltz, Yankee Polka (must be skated as a couple)
- Level Gold Star: Golden Waltz, Tango Romantica, Midnight Blues (must be skated as a couple)
- Level 1: Rhythm Blues
- Level 2: Canasta Tango
- Level 3: 1 min 30 including a midline or diagonal step sequence. Couples may have one lift
- Level 4: as for L3 plus 1 twizzle (1 rotation minimum).
- Level 5: as for L4, plus twizzles in both directions (1 rotation minimum), up to 2 spins now allowed.
- Level 6: as for L5, twizzles must be one set of twizzles (1 rotation minimum clockwise and anticlockwise) up to one step between
- Level 7: 2 min including a midline or circular or diagonal step sequence,one set of twizzles (2 rotation minimum clockwise and anticlockwise) up to one step between, one but no more than 2 spins (3 revs). Couples may have one lift
- Level 8: as for L7
- Level 9: 2 mins 30 requirements as for L8
- Level 10: as for L9 (2 lifts allowed)
- Level Gold Bar 1: 2 min 30 program of senior championship standard
- Level Gold Bar 2: 2 min 30 program of senior championship standard
- Level Gold Star: 2 min 30 program of senior championship standard
- Level 1: 1 min 30 including a midline or diagonal step sequence. Couples may have one lift
- Level 2: as for L1
- Level 3: as for L2, step sequence must be full length plus spin (3 revs), one twizzle (1 rotation).
- Level 4: as for L3 may have 2 spins, plus twizzle (1 clockwise, 1 anticlockwise, 1 rotation minimum).
- Level 5: as for L4
- Level 6: as for L5, twizzles must be one set of twizzles clockwise and anticlockwise (2 rotation on each foot) up to three steps between.
- Level 7: 2 min as for L6
- Level 8: 2 min as for L7 couples may have 2 lifts, Step seq can also be serpentine.
- Level 9: 3 mins as for L8
- Level 10:3 mins as for L9
- Level Gold Bar 1: 4 min program of senior championship standard
- Level Gold Bar 2: 4 min program of senior championship standard
- Level Gold Star: 4 min program of senior championship standard